Cornmeal Crusted Scallops with Heirloom Bean and Oregano Succotash
This delicious recipe for Cornmeal Crusted Scallops with Heirloom Bean and Oregano Succotash pairs perfectly with Talmage Cellars “With Love” 2017 California Chardonnay.
- 1 Cup(s) Dried heirloom black beans, such as Black Valentine, Black Turtle or Midnight Black Beans
- 1/2 Cup(s) Dried heirloom lima beans, such as Henderson's Baby Lima, Giant White Lima or Christmas Lima
- 3 Tablespoon(s) Olive oil, divided
- 1/2 Cup(s) Finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 Cup(s) Finely chopped red onion
- 1 Can (8 3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 Tablespoon(s) Lime juice
- 1 1/4 Teaspoon(s) McCormick Gourmet™ Oregano, Mexican, divided
- 3/4 Teaspoon(s) McCormick Gourmet™ Sicilian Sea Salt, divided
- 1/2 Teaspoon(s) McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Cumin, Ground , divided
- 1/2 Teaspoon(s) McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Black Pepper, Coarse Ground, divided
- 1/4 Cup(s) Cornmeal
- 1 Pound(s) Large sea scallops
- Soak and cook black beans and lima beans as directed on package until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and onion; cook and stir 1 minute or until slightly softened. Add cooked black beans and lima beans, corn, lime juice, 1 teaspoon of the oregano, 1/2 teaspoon of the sea salt, and 1/4 teaspoon each of the cumin and pepper; cook 1 minute or until heated through. Spoon succotash into medium bowl. Cover to keep warm.
- Mix cornmeal and remaining 1/4 teaspoon each oregano, sea salt, cumin and pepper in shallow dish. Pat scallops dry with paper towels. Coat scallops in cornmeal mixture.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in same nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Add scallops; cook 4 minutes or until crust is golden brown and scallops are opaque, turning once. To serve, spoon succotash onto serving plates. Arrange scallops over succotash.
*Recipe and Photo Courtesy of McCormick & Company, Inc.