Cranberry Meringue Slab Pie
This delicious recipe for Cranberry Meringue Slab Pie pairs perfectly with Cloud Number Nine.
- 1 Package (14.1 ounces) refrigerated pie crusts, (2 crusts)
- 1 2/3 Cup(s) Sugar, divided
- 1/2 Cup(s) Cornstarch
- 1 Cup(s) 100% cranberry juice
- 6 Large eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 2 Cans (14 ounces each) jellied cranberry sauce
- 1 Teaspoon(s) McCormick® Pure Orange Extract
- 1 Teaspoon(s) McCormick® Cream Of Tartar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring crusts to room temperature according to package directions. Unroll pie crusts. Press crusts onto bottom of 13×9-inch glass baking dish. Fold edges of crust under and press together to form a thick crust edge. Press seams of overlapping crusts in middle of baking dish together to seal. Pierce crusts with a fork. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack.
2. Meanwhile, mix 1 cup of the sugar and cornstarch in large saucepan. Gradually stir in cranberry juice with wire whisk until well blended. Whisk in 6 egg yolks and cranberry sauce until well blended. (Some lumps may remain.) Whisking occasionally, bring to boil on medium heat. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in extract. Pour hot filling into baked pie crust. Cool on wire rack. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight until chilled and set.
3. For the Meringue, preheat oven to 400°F. Beat 6 egg whites in medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Mix remaining 2/3 cup sugar and cream of tartar in small bowl. Gradually add sugar mixture to egg whites, beating until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue evenly over cranberry-filled pie, sealing edges of crust. Bake 4 to 6 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. For best results, top and bake with meringue just before serving.
*Recipe and Photo Courtesy of McCormick & Company, Inc.