Creamy Vegan Chickpea and Rice Soup
This delicious recipe for Creamy Vegan Chickpea and Rice Soup pairs perfectly with Celestial Cellars 2022 Pisces.
- 1 Cup(s) Raw cashews
- 2 Cup(s) Hot water
- 2 Containers (32 ounces each) unsalted vegetable stock, divided
- 1 Tablespoon(s) Vegetable oil
- 2 Medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 Medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 Stalks celery, chopped
- 2 Tablespoon(s) McCormick® Salt Free Garlic and Herb Seasoning
- 1/2 Teaspoon(s) McCormick® Pure Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Can (15 1/2 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 Cup(s) Uncooked long grain brown rice, rinsed
- 2 Cup(s) Packed chopped kale
- 2 Tablespoon(s) Chopped fresh parsley
1. Place cashews in large heat-safe bowl. Add hot water; soak 15 minutes. Drain and rinse well. Transfer to food processor or blender container. Add about 2 cups of the vegetable stock. Cover. Puree on high speed until completely smooth. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in large saucepan on medium heat until shimmering. Add carrots, onion and celery; cook and stir 3 minutes or until softened. Stir in Seasoning and black pepper; cook and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add remaining stock. Bring to boil.
3. Stir in chickpeas and rice. Cover. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 30 to 35 minutes until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in kale and reserved cashew sauce; cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
*Recipe and Photo Courtesy of McCormick & Company, Inc.