This delicious recipe for Osso Buco pairs perfectly with Gemme Cellars 2019 Merlot.
- 1/4 Cup(s) Flour
- 1 Tablespoon(s) McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon(s) McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Coarse Grind Black Pepper
- 2 1/2-3 Pound(s) Cross-cut veal shanks
- 2 Ounce(s) Chopped pancetta, about 1/4 cup
- 1 Tablespoon(s) Vegetable oil
- 2 Carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 Medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 Rib celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 Teaspoon(s) McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Thyme Leaves
- 1 Teaspoon(s) McCormick Gourmet™ All Natural Ground Jamaican Allspice
- 1 Cup(s) Ddry red wine
- 2 Cup(s) Kitchen Basics Original Veal Stock
- 1 Tablespoon(s) Tomato paste
- 1/4 Cup(s) Chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 Teaspoon(s) Grated lemon peel
- 1 Clove garlic, finely chopped
1. Heat oven to 325°F. For the Veal Shanks, mix flour, garlic powder and pepper in shallow dish. Reserve 2 teaspoons. Coat veal shanks evenly with remaining flour mixture. Set aside.
2. Heat Dutch oven on medium heat. Add pancetta; cook and stir 3 minutes or until crisp. Remove from pan. Drain pancetta on paper towels. Set aside. Add oil to fat in pan. Brown veal shanks on all sides on medium-high heat. Remove from pan. Add carrots, onion and celery; cook and stir 5 minutes. Add thyme and allspice; cook and stir 5 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned. Add red wine; stir to loosen browned bits in bottom of pan. Return veal shanks and pancetta to pan. Stir in stock and tomato paste. Bring to simmer. Cover.
3. Braise in oven 1 ½ hours or until veal shanks are tender. Carefully place pan on stovetop. Remove veal shanks to platter; keep warm. Stir reserved flour mixture into pan. Bring to boil on medium heat. Cook 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
4. For the Gremolata, mix all ingredients in small bowl. Serve veal shank meat and sauce over pasta or polenta, if desired. Sprinkle with Gremolata.
*Recipe and Photo Courtesy of McCormick & Company, Inc.