This delicious recipe for Knafeh pairs perfectly with Paquet Cadeau Rosé Sparkling.
- 2 Cup(s) Sugar
- 1 Cup(s) Water
- 2 Teaspoon(s) Fresh lemon juice
- 2 Teaspoon(s) McCormick® All Natural Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon(s) McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Ground Cardamom
- 1/2 Teaspoon(s) Ginger
- 1 Pound(s) Frozen kataifi dough, partially thawed
- 1 Cup(s) Ghee, melted (plus more for greasing pan)
- 1/2 Pound(s) (8 ounces) Halloumi cheese, thinly sliced
- 3/4 Pound(s) (12 ounces) shredded whole milk mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 Cup(s) Roasted shelled pistachios, chopped
1. Whisk sugar, water and lemon juice in medium saucepan on medium-high heat. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat to low. Cook until slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla, cardamom and ginger. Let stand 15 minutes. Strain through fine mesh sieve. Cool completely. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F. Grease 10-inch round cake pan with ghee; set aside. Place kataifi dough in large bowl. Drizzle with ghee; toss gently, using hands to work ghee into the dough until strands are evenly coated. Press half of the dough into bottom of prepared pan and about halfway up sides.
3. Spread half of the shredded mozzarella over dough. Layer halloumi evenly over top. Sprinkle evenly with remaining mozzarella. Spread remaining kataifi dough evenly over top pressing lightly to pack the layers slightly.
4. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Remove from oven and immediately pour 1 cup of the spiced syrup evenly over top. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes. Serve warm, cut into wedges, drizzling with remaining syrup and sprinkling with pistachios.
*Recipe and Photo Courtesy of McCormick & Company, Inc.