Roasted Cumin and Chickpea Cassoulet
This delicious recipe for Roasted Cumin and Chickpea Cassoulet pairs perfectly with Credia 2022 Merlot.
- 6 Slices bacon
- 1/4 Cup(s) Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon(s) McCormick® Sea Salt Grinder
- 1/4 Teaspoon(s) McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Pound(s) Boneless pork shoulder, well trimmed, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 Large onion, chopped
- 2 Teaspoon(s) Minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoon(s) McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Roasted Ground Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon(s) McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Thyme Leaves
- 1 Tablespoon(s) Tomato paste
- 2 Cup(s) Chicken stock
- 1 Can (15 1/2 ounces) chickpeas, (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 2 Cup(s) Coarse bread crumbs
- 2 Tablespoon(s) Butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook bacon in large skillet on medium heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon into 1/2-inch pieces. Set aside. Mix flour, sea salt and pepper in shallow dish. Coat pork evenly in flour mixture.
2. Stir pork, onion and garlic into drippings in skillet. Cook and stir on medium heat 7 minutes or until pork is browned and onion is softened. Remove pork mixture. Add cumin, thyme and tomato paste to skillet; cook and stir 30 seconds or until fragrant. Stir in stock and chickpeas. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes. Stir in pork mixture and bacon. Spoon into shallow 2-quart baking dish. Cover with foil.
3. Bake 30 minutes. Meanwhile, toss bread crumbs with melted butter in medium bowl. Remove foil from baking dish. Sprinkle top evenly with bread crumb mixture. Bake, uncovered, 5 to 10 minutes longer or until bread crumbs are lightly browned.
*Recipe and Photo Courtesy of McCormick & Company, Inc.